2014/09/02

Refashionista: Adding a geometric pattern to a jacket with fabric paint

Hi, guys! I don't know about you, but I can get very attached to a piece of clothing. There are pieces I've worn 10+ years, and still love. So, it's especially sad, when one of those pieces gets ruined by stains. Which is exactly what happened to my white summer jacket.

I've had this jacket since forever. Actually, it was one of the first things I ever purchased at H&M. I got it on a choir trip to Germany after 10th grade, and I remember stepping into the famous store. H&M opened their first store in Estonia only last year, so going to one was always an abroad "must".
I've worn this jacket so much over the years, and it was still in great condition until I spilled grape juice over the back and the sleeve. How do you spill juice on the back of a jacket, you ask? Let's just say, that dripping straws get places. After about 5 attempts to get the stains out, I realized it wasn't going to happen, so I came up with another plan.

Being over-excited about fabric paints (proof here, here and here), it was a no-brainer really. So, I came up with the idea of covering the stains with a fun, colorful, tribal-inspired geometric pattern.

Here's what you need:
1) Old garment that needs a face-lift
2) Cardboard, pencil, scissors
3) Black permanent marker
4) Fabric paints

Here's how:

First, test your design idea on a sheet of paper of cardboard and see if it would fit the space you want to fill. I drew my idea up and cut away one of the bigger triangles to see if it would cover the biggest stain .
 1. Using your sketch as guide, cut out the elements you need for your design. I cut out 3 different sized triangles.
2. Place a plastic bag under the section of garment you're about to paint, otherwise the paint might run through to another layer of fabric.
3. Start drawing the pattern on the garment. I started from the center to make sure it's symmetrical, and that the stain gets entirely covered. Use the permanent marker to draw the outline of the first pattern piece on the garment. Be careful to double check the placement, since permanent markers really are permanent.
4. Continue to draw the pattern on your garment, completing the first row, and moving upwards from there.
5. Once the pattern is complete and your happy with the way it turned out, start painting the insides of the pattern pieces in the color-way of your choice.
6. Let the paint dry completely and then iron through a sheet of paper (or as instructed on the fabric paint bottles).
 Love this new colored pattern! An easy and fun fix for stains. I'm thinking of going with just 1 or 2 colors next time. Maybe something that's a contrast to the black. Or, I might omit the black line all-together, and makes just paint colorful triangles. So many options to try...
Hope you like this refashion as much as I do, and that you got some ideas for adding a pattern to an old garment.

Have fun crafting!
xo Hanna

3 comments:

  1. Such a fun way to dress up an old favorite! I've never gotten very far with fabric paint before, but this really inspired me to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love fabric paint, to boarder-line obsessed, to be honest! Oh, and not to be confused with fabric dye, which is much harder to work with, and not suitable for painting these kinds of patterns.

      Delete

Leave your thoughts below! I appreciate every comment, question, thought and kind word. Thank you!

Next Post Previous Post Home