2014/09/09

Refashionista: Adding lace straps to a strapless dress

Easy and pretty lace straps for a strapless dress
I love the look of a strapless dress as much as the next gal, but I find them rather uncomfortable. I simply don't have the boob-power to hold them up, and the constant pulling and adjusting feels awkward and annoying. So, I find it's usually best to add some sort of straps to a strapless dress. I've added ribbon straps before, but now it's time to turn to lace, one of my favorite materials to work with. 
Easy and pretty lace straps for a strapless dress
Easy and pretty lace straps for a strapless dress
 This is a dress I bought at a thrift shop last year. The first adjustment I made to it, was to make it about 2 sizes smaller. At first, like always, I thought I'd leave it strapless, but after wearing it for a couple of times, I realized, I really needed some straps for comfort. So I came up with the idea of adding venice lace straps. It's unbelievably simple, and so pretty. 
Easy and pretty lace straps for a strapless dress
Easy and pretty lace straps for a strapless dress
Here's how to make your own:
Adding pretty lace straps for a strapless dress
 First, find the center of the front bodice, and the attach the the middle of the two lace details on that mark and pin the lace to two sides from there until you reach the spot where you want the strap to be.
Sew down the lace from the front.
how to add pretty lace straps for a strapless dress
Now fold the corned of the strap, pin and sew. Then put the dress on, and measure the length of the straps. Add seam allowance, cut, pin to the right place on the backside of the dress, and sew them in place. All done! So. Simple.
Easy and pretty lace straps for a strapless dress
Easy and pretty lace straps for a strapless dress
 Now this dress is so much more comfortable. Also, the straps kind of dress is down a bit, so I'm able to get more wear out of it as I don't really have a lot of formal events to go to, and a strapless dress seems a bit too much for the every day. But, with the new lace straps, I feel I can pretty much wear it whenever and wherever. Without pulling it up every 5 seconds.

Have fun fixing those dresses!
xo Hanna

Follow on Bloglovin

16 comments:

  1. Such a simple update, but the change is incredible! I also do not have the boobage to really carry off the strapless look comfortably, so I often look for ways to add straps and I know what I'm doing with a couple of pieces I've been holding off on!!! Thanks for the inspiration and you're stunning, btw, in this and in all of your posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Andrea, for such a generous compliment! If I ever figure out a way to wear a strapless dress comfortably with no boobs, I'll let you know :).

      Delete
  2. I rather like strapless dresses - but god I hate strapless bras! I read the title and thought hmm but this is really cute! The lace is very very nice, and look lovely on that dress :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the look of strapless dresses, even on me, but my boobage just can't hold them up. The opposite problem with strapless bras, though, since I don't have any boobs for them to lift up :D. But, yes, they are not that comfortable even then. This dress actually has pads sewn into the dress, so there's no need to wear a bra underneath.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW!!! Just WOW!! I see soooooo many strapless dresses for cheap while thrifting but give up as I, too, lack the bust line. However, I always thought most of these pieces would make a great skirt - but the reality of that idea is that I'm just NOT a good enough seamstress (HAH! the very word!) to pull off that conversion. So, with a recent strapless find I decided to also add straps and use coordinating ribbon since I liked the length of it as a dress anyway (just at the knee and that's a high a hem as I go!). All this is to say that I LOVE the framing of the top of the bosom area with your lace - not only did you make straps but you lined the boobie area with it and it looks totally ON PURPOSE - not like an add on at all....sometimes my "refashions" are way too obvious :( Anyway, love the tutorial "Miss-hair-down-a lot-now-that-I'm-married!" Have a great day (evening?)....Always love your teaching posts!

    Peace - Martha (USA)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a lot of wows :D. Thank you! I know what you mean about refashions sometimes looking too obvious - been there, done that. It's not always that an idea comes out as I saw it in my head, but this is one of the better moments when it does.
      I should do a post about making a dress into a skirt and show that it's not that difficult. And then you can work on that sewing muscle of yours as well.
      Oh, and about the hair, I think I've just gotten lazy lately :P.

      Delete
  5. Eriti kaval idee! Ja pits mõjub nii ilusalt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eks see ole juba teada, et pits on minu üks lemmikmaterjale. Ükskõik, kuhu seda lisada, ikka saab kuidagi ilusam.

      Delete
  6. Cute idea and the dress looks awesome. Saw this on craftgawker :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Marni! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. I need to learn how to use my sewing machine. This is my 1st time here, but not my last.

      Delete
    4. I've been thinking about creating a sewing 101 crash course, but haven't gotten around to it yet. Perhaps I can help out in a couple of months time.

      Delete
  7. Such a cute idea! It's definitely an easy way to dress up an old dress (sorry - bad pun) or make a strapless top a little more wearable for different occasions or seasons. Thanks for sharing the process - I'll have to give this a try!

    Callie
    www.coffeeandcardigans.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, you can easily use the idea on anything strapless, really. You sparked a post idea in me, so thank you :)!

      xo Hanna

      Delete

Leave your thoughts below! I appreciate every comment, question, thought and kind word. Thank you!

Next Post Previous Post Home