2012/10/30

Customize: Beaded neckline


I think you might get tired of hearing this, but restyling your existing wardrobe can be easier than you imagine. Sometimes a simple embellishment can create just that breeze of freshness you were longing for.

I found this sweater amongst my Mother's unworn clothing. I have a habit of going through all of our family's unwanted clothing every now and again to find hidden treasures. It's even better than thrifting because I get everything for free and my Mom gets some additional closet space.

I loved the color combo of navy blue and forest green, but the whole thing was a little dull. So I added different glass beads to the neckline creating visual interest and giving a simple sweater some much needed flare.


This is not a new project, but I simply had to share it with you. I've heard so many people say they'd love to be able to do what I do. And I'd like to tell them "You can!". We are all creative by nature and I'm sure all of you have some amazing ideas. Start with a small and easy project and see how you like it. Not every technique is for everyone, but I think there's bound to be something for everyone. You'll just have to find your own.

6 comments:

  1. Hanna, this is an amazing refashion. Can I ask what types of beads you used? Were the sew-on or did you use some sort of glue?

    x Elena @ Randomly Happy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used 4 types of different glass beads (3 different shades of blue and 1 green), the kind used for jewelry making. I sewed them on by hand. If I'd have to do it again, I'd probably attach them all separately, making sure to make a double knot for each one inside the sweater. This time I sewed with one long thread and because of this if one of the beads falls off, that creates a chain reaction.

      I think flat rhinestones could work with glue. Personally, glueing things to fabric is still somewhat foreign to me, but I think it would work fine.

      Delete
  2. This is really a great idea for refashioning old piece. Adding the beading around the neck really brightens it up. Lovely idea, Hanna!

    Callie
    www.coffeeandcardigans.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Callie! The best ideas are often the simplest ones :).

      Delete
  3. You're so right about restyling not being difficult, Hanna! In the short few weeks that I've been following your blog, I've gathered so much inspiration that I'm confident even with my limited experience in DIYs to try most of them because they are so easy and well-explained. I especially like this project since I always skip the finishing touches to my outfits, the jewelry; a piece like this has built-in jewelry :P, so no need to worry about it anymore! :)

    Hope you're having a great week so far!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It makes me really happy to hear that, Ana! Thank you! And I do hope you'll get to try some of them out real soon :).

      By the way, I have the same problem with accessorizing. I simply forget to add the bling.

      Have a creative day!

      Delete

Leave your thoughts below! I appreciate every comment, question, thought and kind word. Thank you!

Next Post Previous Post Home