2012/10/16

DIY: Glitter heel and toe


I'm slowly getting into restyling the shoes I don't wear for some reason. I've seen beautiful glitter heels around the blogosphere and I really wanted to give it a try.

I had a pair of plain ivory leather heels that I had scored for next to nothing many years ago, but hadn't worn much 'cause they were a little bit dull to be honest. So, they were the perfect candidate for a makeover.


Now, this project was not as simple as I had anticipated. All the tutorials I've seen have looked so simple. And, let's be honest, everybody writes "easy and quick diy" in the descriptions these days. Who would want to do a "long and difficult diy" anyway? But, sometimes there are things that make a project a little bit more time consuming. In hindsight, I wouldn't say this project was hard, but there were some hurdles I had to overcome along the way. On the bright side, hopefully learning about my mistakes will make your project that more easier.

I'll share the whole process and my tips after the jump, so be sure to click "read more" below.


You'll need: 

  1. A pair of shoes/heels
  2. Glue 
  3. Small paint brush
  4. Scotch tape
  5. Glitter
  6. Hairspray



The process is relatively simple. You have to cover the heel with glue (1.) and then sprinkle glitter on it so that the whole heel is covered (2.).
Use scotch tape to mark the toes so you have a clean line once you've finished glittering (3.). Then repeat the same process you did with the heels.
And that would be it....except, once I had done that I discovered that a lot of the glitter would just fall of and the coat of glitter was not even. I could even see the original surface through the glitter at some places. So I added some steps.
First, I hairsprayed the heels and the toes and then let the shoes dry. When they were completely dry I applied a second coat of glue (4.) and glitter (5.) and hairspray. Now I was done...with the crafty part.
However, I took me a lot of effort to get rid of all the glitter. Some spots in my living room still glitter.


I wore my new glittery heels to the school recital today and it went super awesomely. And the glitter heels played a huge part in it. No, I'm not kidding! It's really hard to sing with high heels, and these shoes have just the right heel for singing. I love them. And they are very comfy as well. Great success!

How about you, have you tried the glitter heel yet? Maybe there's another shoe makeover project you'd like to share. Well, I'd love to hear all about it in the comments!

12 comments:

  1. These plain-made-dressy shoes are just amazing - elegant & jazzy! I will try this for sure when i find some light colored pumps! It's not often I get to wear heels but this idea really is cool...it's like the spectator pump for winter! Thx!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you do get around to it, send me a picture! I'd love to see your version :).

      Delete
  2. I love me some glitter shoes. I made some on my blog too, but with bigger glitter. It took me a couple of coats of glitter too, and I spent a lot of time patting it down flat. I used mod podge to glue and seal the glitter, but I would have never though of hairspray. I'll have to make some of these too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only problem with hairspray is that it's not waterproof. So I wouldn't go out in the rain with these shoes :D.

      Delete
    2. Oh, and would you share the link, so I and others can check it out?

      Delete
    3. Sure!

      http://ryanandlibbie.blogspot.com/2012/10/how-i-made-my-own-hooker-shoes.html

      Delete
    4. Thanks! They look fantastic!

      Delete
  3. So cute shoes recipe!! I feel wish to make something like this. So cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Buy a little glitter and get started! It's not that difficult, I'm sure you can do it :).

      Delete
  4. so good post, i like your DIY, thanks for sharing. utility t shirts

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always wear my trusty Primark shoe boots with a sturdy heel. Since starting my new job I’ve been trying to find a pair of heels. sLIP AND FALL

    ReplyDelete

Leave your thoughts below! I appreciate every comment, question, thought and kind word. Thank you!

Next Post Previous Post Home