2013/02/05

Organizing Jewelry and Make-up


Time and again I promise myself that I'll get more organized and tidier. Truth be told, that rarely happens. I guess it's one of those resolutions that never gets done. But, I do have my moments. Lately I've been in a nesting phase and trying to find new ways to make our apartment a home. And I think organizing is an important part of it. If things are put away nicely, it's prettier, cozier and homier. It's still a work in progress, but the first steps are done.


I used to keep all of my make-up is several toiletry bags I'd collected over the years. They were neither pretty nor very practical, because the stuff ended up on the table within days. I just couldn't find anything and ended up emptying the bag to get what I was looking for. Now I keep my make'up in a vintage sewing box I got from my Grandma. It was brand new, just sitting in her attic, so I asked if I could have it. At first I thought I'd used it to organize my sewing supplies, but I realized they would never fit in there. So, I found it a better use.
It's super practical and so comfortable to use. I keep all my everyday make-up in the top compartments, and the fancier stuff in the bottom compartment. I love how I can just pull it open, get what I need, and put it back in a matter of seconds. It really tidied up my dresser top. And I always now where everything is. It has just enough separate compartments to keep everything organized.



It seams I've been looking for a better way to organize my jewelry for the longest time. I've seen lots of tutorials and ideas, but most of them have the jewelry out in the open, exposed to air, which could mean fading and oxidation. And I didn't want to take that risk. After making a jewelry box out of an old chocolate box (tutorial here), I turned another box into jewelry storage. I got some body lotion and other goods in a nice black simple gift box for Christmas, and it was just the perfect size to be turned into a jewelry box.


I stacked 2 containers from chocolate boxes into the black box. I simple cut the containers into the right size and layered them into the box. They tend to fall into each other a bit, so I'm thinking about glueing some cardboard under one of them to separate them better inside the box. I like that I can get a quick overview of my jewelry, find pieces easily and keep them from tangling.
I use three leather boxes as well to organize my other jewelry. I keep silver and gold jewelry separately, and I keep all my big bracelets in a round leather box.

One of these days I'm going to have to tackle my closet and my sewing supplies. Oh my!
Do you have any tips for getting organized?

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE the sewing box! I have never seen a wooden one before, only the cheesy cloth covered basket style. Have I overlooked these somehow or are they that rare? It is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh btw just wanted to share, if you are like me and you have quite a few pieces of costume jewelry, wrapping it in plain white gift paper tissue while storing it helps tremendously in preventing oxidation and tarnishing. I know this isn't very practical for finding go-to pieces that we wear often but for less used pieces I highly recommend it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got the sewing box from my Grandma, but now that you mentioned it, I haven't seen any wooden ones sold nowadays. I guess it's something they used to produce around here back in the soviet times. May-be you'll have better luck at flee markets or vintage shops.

      Thanks for the tip! I'm definitely going to use that.

      Delete

Leave your thoughts below! I appreciate every comment, question, thought and kind word. Thank you!

Next Post Previous Post Home