2013/02/26

Wardrobe Reinvention: 3 ways to wear a basic white button-down


I think it's high time for another round of wardrobe reinvention! Whenever I feel the routine creeping in, I know it's time to have fun and create outfits I haven't put together before.

As you might have guessed, I'm not an office gal. I'm a musician, and thankfully, that and being a student allow me the freedom to dress however I want. So, a corporate type of clothing like the basic women's button-down doesn't often find it's way into my daily style. But, since I do own a button-down that I got from a thrift store some years ago, and it's still hanging in my closet, I was up for the challenge.

Outfit details: Knit button-up blouse - Reserved (many years ago) / Skirt - thrifted / Boots - Mom's old / Bracelet - made by me (tutorial)

To make the shirt more me, I removed the collar, although a collared shirt would work equally well, if not better, in these ensambles.

For the first outfit, I paired the button-down with a fun polka dot knit and added a pleated skirt. A fun fact - the skirt is thrifted, but the label says Zara Kids! Ha! It's adjustable in the back with elastic, and I love it, because it allows me to alter the hight where I can wear it. Loosen the elastic and but the skirt on the hips, tighten the elastic, and wear it up high.
Oh, and the red tights and leather boots were a must for this outfit.

Outfit details: Fuscia crochet blouse - made by me / Jeans -  supermarket find / Flats - old, can't remember the label / Earrings - gift / Rose ring - made by me

The second outfit might be my favorite, because it combines all the elements I love at the moment. A comfy pair of jeans, a basic piece and a pop of color. I'm so craving colors lately, so naturally I had to find a way to make the basic white shirt a little bit more colorful.

Outfit details: Knit dress - refashioned by me (H&M originally) / Crochet shawl - made by me / White retro boots - from Mom's youth

The third outfit is perfect for winter! It's got layers and warmth, and it's cozy. And I love the white retro boots form my Mom's closet. They are quite a bit worn, but I'm hoping I can give them a little update with some glue and oil. We'll see. I don't dare to take them out on the slippery icy sidewalks yet, but once the snow clears, I'd love to wear them.

Did I mention how much I love wardrobe reinvention? If not, you should know I love it a whole lot! Hopefully the next installment will be soon.

4 comments:

  1. A white button-down is a wardrobe basic and it's great to know how you can combine it to create outfits appropriate for different occasions. Every time I'm not sure what I should wear I go for a simple shirt as a base and it always turns out great! :) I think the first outfit is my favourite :) I'd love to see some more with this shirt, as it gives you lots of possibilites!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll see, may-be there's another wardrobe reinvention post in this shirt's future. I've just got so many other garments that are just waiting to be reinvented :)

      Delete
    2. You're quite right :) I'm waiting with impatience for whatever comes next in the Wardrobe Reinvention series. Actually I've tried it with my clothes as well and it turned out to be lots of fun! :)

      Delete
    3. It's so great to hear that I might have inspired someone else to experiment more with their clothes. I think clothing and style is such a creative part of our identity, and we should have fun with it.

      Delete

Leave your thoughts below! I appreciate every comment, question, thought and kind word. Thank you!

Next Post Previous Post Home