2013/03/30

DIY: Making an old bra suitable for backless dress/shirt



I love backless dresses, but I always get really annoyed when my bra is showing and on the other hand I don't feel good without it either. So today I decided to make one of my bras suitable for backless dresses/shirts.
It is my first time to make something like that, so I'll probably be wiser next time and do some things differently..

Things you'll need:
  • An old bra
  • a needle and some thread
  • Scissors and a seam ripper
  • Colourful ribbon, chain, lace, pearls or whatever you like! Or what goes well with your dress.




At first I'm cutting off the ends of the bra, where the attachments are. Doing this way, I am making space for the new back part, which will be showing. You don't have to cut off as much as I did, some of the following  steps are necessary only for dresses or shirts that have very wide backless parts, so with normal bra, straps are seen. I just wanted to try out if it looks better. It is a bit more uncomfortable, so consider well how much you want to cut, I recommend to cut it right behind the straps, so you don't have to sew them back later. (I made the cut way before the straps).



Here you can see, that I cut the bra so far that I had to sew straps back on. And as I already mentioned, it is not that necessary, you can leave the straps where they are and cut off only the very ends.


The new back piece is made out of chain and ribbon. Here are also some pliers for cutting the chain.


 I cut the chain into two equal parts that are the width of my back. Then I sewed them on the bra.


Finally I took the ribbons and sewed them on the chains.



Yay! It is ready!
This was just one idea I had, I'll definitely try this out with some lace or elastic band and pearls.
Have fun trying out your own ideas!




11 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing! Great idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just looking for something like this the other day for a backless dress I got recently. This is a marvelous idea! And it looks really cute, too.

    ~Vicki
    Decked Out in Ruffles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I have some summer dresses that are always problems with their backs. So I decided to figure something out :D but that is only one of the solutions..In the future I'm also going to try out the bra lengthening (with elastic band) so that the backless dress would really be backless. :)

      Delete
  3. Oh my gosh, this post is so timely! I just found a couple backless dresses and while I really like them, I'm not into showing that much of my bra and eh, going without one just won't work. This idea is brilliant and it actually looks pretty easy, I am so going to have to try this now. What a completely fantastic idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! :)I have about 3 dresses with really low backs, and I haven't found any underwear that would look good with them.. The special ones in underwear shops are really expencive or very rare and hard to find..That's why I decided to do something abou it! :D

      Delete
  4. I came here to check out your lace embellished tee tute I saw on CraftGawker and am so glad that I decided to browse and come across this. I just missed out on a purchase yesterday because of the low back. Thanks for sharing this cute idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :) I'm so glad that this idea is helpful..
      I always like to think that when you miss something out, then something better is waiting ahead! :)

      Delete
  5. Holy moley!!! This is the coolest idea! Thank you so much for posting it with such beautiful photos - I must try it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. es estupendo!! esto lo pondré en practica pero ya muchas gracias por compartirlo me quedo como seguidora tienes un bonito blog!! un saludo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never thought that I will be able to wear a dress with bare back and bra in the same time! It's just so AMAZING!! Thanks you very much for your gorgeous idea!!:)

    ReplyDelete

Leave your thoughts below! I appreciate every comment, question, thought and kind word. Thank you!

Next Post Previous Post Home