2013/03/27

Long Statement Earrings DIY



My concert outfit was entirely self-made. I made my dress, I did my own hair, and I also made my own jewelry. These are the earrings I made for this special occasion. Since the dress has a lot of sparkling around the neckline, the only other piece of jewelry I added was a pair of earrings. And I wanted the earrings to compliment the dress.

I'm very happy with the result, so I thought I'd share the process with you in case you'd like to make yourself a pair of fabulous earrings.

Here's what you need:


1. 2 big rhinestones that have sewing holes.
2. Beads -  I used 2 different kind, smaller transparent ones, and bigger metallic grey ones
3. Fishing cord - mine was a size 30, what ever that means :)
4. 2 earring studs
5. Bead stoppers - again, I used bigger ones for securing the cords, and smaller ones for the beads
6. Flat-nosed pliers
7. Super glue


The process is rather simple:
1. Cut 3 strands (you could use more or less, 3 will give you 6 bead strands in the end) of fishing cord about 20cm each. Put them together and pull them half way through one of the sewing holes on the rhinestones.
2. Fold the cords in half so that you'll get 6 strands in your hand.
3. Pull the 6 strands through one bead stopper and secure it as close to the rhinestone as possible.
4. Start beading the strands. Add a bead and then secure a bead stopper after it.
5. I differentiated between the order of the beads and their distance, and also their number, so that some of the strands ended up shorter than the others. Just cut the cord ends about 1 cm from the last bead stopper.
6. Lastly glue a stud onto the back of the rhinestone, let dry, and you're done.



Enjoy making yourself a pair of statement earrings!


10 comments:

  1. These are ah-mazing! Love love love.

    J @ A Bird's Leap

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you, Jennah! They are pretty fabulous!

      Delete
  2. What a fab idea - well done and thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neena, you're most welcome! Ideas are for sharing if you ask me :)

      Delete
  3. Love this look, Hanna... would be fabulous with lots of bead styles too! Saw you today on Pearl's blog:

    http://www.beadinggem.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Monique! And thanks for the link as well!

      Delete
  4. I will try this. Thank you for sharing. They seem very nice...

    ReplyDelete

Leave your thoughts below! I appreciate every comment, question, thought and kind word. Thank you!

Next Post Previous Post Home