2013/03/18

Refashionista: Button Cuff Bracelet



Today's refashion is not so much about refashoning a garment as it is about what to do with the leftovers. There are several ways to make use of the discarded cuffs of a simple button-down shirt, and a cuff bracelet is one of them. It a quick or a time-consuming project depending on the method you choose. But, either way, the result is pretty cool.


There are 2 possible methods to make the bracelet. One of which is pretty time-consuming, but the end result is prettier, and of higher quality. The other is super quick, but I can't give you life-long garantii.


METHOD 1 - Hand-stitching



1. Both methods start with the same step. Cut the cuff of a shirt off as close to the seam as possible. You could seam rip the cuff seam and resew it shut after detaching it from the sleeve. That would give a neater finish.
2. You can either figure out the placement of the buttons before starting sewing, or just decide as you go along. I did my design before-hand, because I wanted to visualize the end result before sewing the buttons on, in case I'd like to rearrange something.
3. After laying all the buttons as I wanted them, I put a wide tape over it, so that all the buttons would stick to it and remain in the right place.
4. I started sewing the buttons taking them one after another from the tape and sewing them onto the cuff.
5. After all the buttons were sewn on, I filled the gaps and the edges with small seed beads.


METHOD 2 - Glue


1. Same as the first method.
2. Arrange all the buttons the way you want.
3. Heat up your glue gun, or use some other adhesive, and start glueing the buttons on to the cuff.
The downside of this method is, that you can only use flat buttons. But other than that, it does the job fine, as you can see form the picture below.


Happy creating, my friends!


2 comments:

  1. I also discoverd buttons some time ago and I made this nekclace with lots of buttons:) Some people said it was a neck installation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A neck installation sounds grand :). There are endless possibilities for using buttons, that's why I love them.

      Delete

Leave your thoughts below! I appreciate every comment, question, thought and kind word. Thank you!

Next Post Previous Post Home