2012/08/06

Refashionista: Tie Dye long-sleeved tee


I've made it a habit to go through my closet from time to time and take out everything that I haven't worn for a year or only worn a couple of times. I put all these things into the "to refashion" pile and then start imagining ways I could pimp them up to make them attractive again.
I found this white long sleeved tee amongst my clothing here at my parents house, where I'm enjoying my summer at the moment. It's cotton, so it's very comfy, but since it was white, I didn't wear it that much. I've wanted to try out tie dying (instead of tie bleaching, which I've already tried) and this was just the garment for the job.



The steps are simple:
1. Prewash your garment.
2. Tie your garment with rubber bands (I used old hair elastics, but the stationary kind is fine). I wanted to achieve a symmetrical pattern, so I tied the sleeves at more or less the same places and the body at even lengths (see below picture).


3. Prepare your dye according to the instructions. Place the tee into the dye and let sit for a while (the time is usually recommended in the dye instructions).
4. Take out and remove rubber bands.
5. Rinse in vinegar solution (I put about 1.5 dl of white vinegar into 3 l of water). Let it sit for a few minutes. Then rinse in tap water.
6. Let air dry.
7. Wear with pride!




4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks! It's amazing how a cast-off can easily become a fast favourite!

      Delete
  2. So cute I've always wanted to do this. Yours is awesome makes a big difference hehe!!

    ReplyDelete

Leave your thoughts below! I appreciate every comment, question, thought and kind word. Thank you!

Next Post Previous Post Home