2012/08/22

White Lace Peplum Top


From time to time I'm going to share my sewing projects and creations with you. As I've gone more and more into refashions, I've sewn less from scratch. And, for the past year I've mostly sewn for other people and my shop, so I've created very little for myself. Well, that's about to change. I'm determined to sew for me more, and to create the wardrobe I'd love.


Yet, this top was originally meant to go to one of my best friends. My girls were in Tallinn this weekend and she made a joke about wanting me to sew her a top. Well, I thought why not?! Unfortunately (or, fortunately, lol) the outcome didn't fit her right. So, I made a few alterations and this gorgeous top was all mine.


I used a cream white stretch lace and a matching jersey knit for the lining. I made the back sheer just for fun. This was actually what caused the misfit for my friend. If you have a big bust, it's wise to check that the front and back have the same stretchiness. My lace had way more stretch than my jersey knit and that's where the problems started.


I created the pattern using a simple tank top pattern from Burda. You could also trace one of your existing tank tops to get the pattern. For the peplum I used the skirt panels form Victory patterns Ava. I just put the center and side pice together making one pattern piece and cut it on fold. I think it would also be rather simple to develop your own pattern for this. It should be half a circle. The principles are the same as developing a circle skirt pattern. There are lots of helpful tutorials for that.


To be honest, I hadn't made myself a peplum top because I was afraid the peplum would accentuate my pear-shaped body. But, I'm actually very happy with the outcome and I think it gives more focus to my tiny waist than my wider hips. So, another peplum top might be in my near sewing future.

8 comments:

  1. See näeb su seljas ju fantastiline välja!
    Minu meelest oli see üks väga hea ettevõtmine, sest tänu minule said sa midagi nüüd endale õmmelda:)
    Pai-pai!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ma loodan, et lohutusauhind polnud ka kõige hullem ;). Järgmine kord sulle õmmeldes olen juba targem.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Aitäh, Kaja! Ega koledaid asju pole mõtet õmmelda, heh :D

      Delete
  3. I love this.
    Do I need to put a dart on the lace/ cahntilly?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used both stretch lace and white jersey fabric for the underlining, so I didn't need to add any darts.

      Delete

Leave your thoughts below! I appreciate every comment, question, thought and kind word. Thank you!

Next Post Previous Post Home