2012/08/29

Wardrobe Reinvention: 5 Ways to Wear the one-shoulder ruffle top

 

It's time to reinvent my wardrobe once again. This time I combined 5 outfits using my one shoulder ruffle top that I made about a year ago. Since then it has gotten ridiculously few wares, so it's time to bring it out and let it shine. The problem with this top is really very easy - I made it for a festive occasion and have associated it with formal wear ever since. I find it hard to create an outfit with it that I could wear to school every day, and that would enable me to get more use out of it.
To hear more about the outfits and what I learned, click "Read more" below.




I'm wearing: one shoulder ruffle top (made by me) / dark blue pencil skirt (custom made for me in 7th grade) / blue wide belt (thrifted) / necklace & bracelet (made by me) / earrings ( a gift) / black heels

Now, I know this is a festive outfit. But, it something I could wear to a recital, or a singing exam. So, I could make more use of it. And I really like how it looks on me. I makes me look tall I think, which is always a plus when you're only 163 cm in real life.

I'm wearing: one shoulder ruffle top / black blazer (Bastion) / black skinnies (Vero Moda) / vintage clock necklace (gift from my grandmother) / bangle bracelets (gift from Dad) / vintage turquoise heels (from my Mother's stash)
I think I actually like this outfit the most. It feels a little bit more edgy than I'm used to, but that's the kind of challenge I want to set myself style-wise this year. So, I hope I dare to take this one to school at some point.

I'm wearing: one shoulder ruffle top / black shorts (thrifted) / golden belt (Tally Weijl) / necklace as a bracelet (Seppäle) / earrings (gift from Gandma) / sandals (Shu)
 I'm so sad I didn't think of this combination when summer started. Now it's almost fall (give that it's only 16 degrees outside right now) and I probably won't be able to wear it this year. But, I'll know better next year. This outfit is a win-win, because I haven't worn these shorts for a long time (not once this whole summer) and now I've successfully incorporated them into an outfit I love.

I'm wearing: one shoulder ruffle top / purple blazer (Reserved) / jeans (thrifted) / silver bracelet (gift from Dad) / necklace & earrings (made by me) / shoes (thrifted)
 This is the outfit I feel most comfortable in, and I can see myself wearing this to school without feeling overdressed nor out of my comfort zone. It's totally ME! I think this one will probably get the most wear. Comfort AND style? Love it!
I'm wearing: one shoulder ruffle top / cardigan (refashioned by me) / pencil skirt (hand-me-down from Mom) / golden belt (tally Weijl) / bracelet (don't remember where I bought it) /earrings (made by me) / vintage turquoise heels (from Mom)
I do love this outfit, but I kind of feel that it makes me look (and feel) older than I am. I would definitely  pull this off at an office job, which I don't have. But, it is an option that I could use for job interviews (that I might have in the future) or some sort of semi-formal gatherings.

I'm starting to really love this wardrobe challenge. Not only does it force me to get more creative with my outfits and accessories, it also gives me the opportunity to see myself from another perspective. It's one thing to see yourself in the mirror, and a completely other thing to see yourself on pictures. I feel it helps me decide what I like and don't like on me. And that is a great additional value from this challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave your thoughts below! I appreciate every comment, question, thought and kind word. Thank you!

Next Post Previous Post Home